Monday

Glucosamine information

I'm not a doctor so I can't say one way or the other, but the below sites seem to say that Glucosamine has no severe side effects. If your doctor disagrees you should listen to him or her, or get a second opinion... from what I can tell it's safe... but there are rare diseases and circumstances that might be different for you.

This first site is in relation to Arthritis and has some warnings for Diabetics, those with Shell Fish allergies, and pregnant or nursing mothers. But the warnings seem pretty tame... but worth a read if you're one of those being warned:
http://www.glucosamine-arthritis.org/glucosamine/glucosamine-side-effects.html

Please note too, not all Glucosamine is from shell fish. There is a plant based Glucosamine, so do your research. Even Vegan's can now get Glucosamine if it's a plant based version.

This second site is Medicine.net and apparently is a Doctor's comments. He actually warns about Chondroitin sulfate and a blood thinning medication. But again not all Glucosamine is mixed with chondroitin - so you may just need to avoid Chondroiten. Here's the link:
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=14559

One thing that is true for me that both sites warn about is how too much Glucosamine can cause stomach upset. This happened to me when I experimented by drinking extra servings of my juice. I can drink extra of the blend that has no Glucosamine without a problem.

No comments: